Skip to main content

A Reverse Mission Trip in El Paso, Texas



Mathew 5:13-16
13 “You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men. 14 “You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden.15 Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven. – NKJV



We rested in the sanctuary of Iglesia Luterana Cresto Rey in El Paso Texas, for a small worship service beginning our last reflection of our Border Immersion experience. Pastora Rosa led us by asking two questions. Who has been a light for us in our journey? Who has made an impact on you this week? How could I possible summarize my experience engaging in a community when I had learned so much?
It was only seven days earlier that I embarked on my journey, clumsy, cramped and confused. Boarding the plane, I had dropped my glass water bottle on someone’s head. I was assigned the middle seat, consequently fretting over a load of books I couldn’t get to.  I later spilling my flimsy cup of water onto my neighbor.  Intermittently leaning forward seeking to rest on my travel teddy bear, as nervousness haunted my muffled dreams.
We arrived safely after eight hours of traveling. On my 32nd hour of being awake, I prayed for energy and pinched myself, frustrated that I still had not learned Spanish as Carmen shared her story. She, humble, self-less, and resilient opened up to us. She questioned why we have borders when, “Dios no dividó el cielo.” This struck me in the deepest and most personal way. The question of manmade limits followed me through the week.
Deep in the Colonias, lands sold without services such as safe drinking water and plumbing, we listened to Argelia’s story. I couldn’t stop my tears from flowing as she shared her overwhelming faith and resilience. She asked, “Why do you come here and cry with us?”
Dr. Mendoza, a pioneer in social medicine, reminded us that too often, “The only treatment the poor gets is extractions.” As a missionary doctor in Juarez, Mexico helping people with no access to medical care and providing scholarships for kids to go to school, she promotes education as a way to break the cycle of poverty. “I use my skills to show my love for my neighbors, solidarity for their needs, advocating for voices of people who don't speak for themselves.” She charged us to stand and do our part. “Don’t ever feel you're too small, too poor, or too busy that you cannot help your neighbor.”
I reflected on how each of these women, their stories, and questions, have served as lights for me. I didn’t have answers for them then, and I pray their questions continue swimming in my heart, guiding my journey. I share Dr. Mendoza’s heart for servant leadership. I pray for the resilience of Carmen, the faith of Argelia, and the grace of Pastora Rosa whom ended our reflection asking, “What are the walls we erect in everyday lives separating from others?”
For those who are beginning your social justice journeys, don’t let the burden of privilege cause you to "other" issues, nor lights. We will never gain faith through understanding, but through an open heart. Do not allow stories of resilience to serve only as catharsis, but rather as catalyst to be the change you want to see. You too can be a light in this world.

Servant Leadership
Grace
Vulnerability
Hope
Faithfulness
Letting Go
Solidarity
Sincerity
Accountability
Tear Down the Walls
Build Bridges

Comments

  1. Beautiful, and stirring words! Thank you for sharing your experience and the words of these strong people with us in such a compassionate way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Alumni Spotlight: Troy Andrade 2007

Troy J. H. Andrade is a 2007 graduate with a BA in Economics and Political Science, and a minor in Music.  As a student, Troy was heavily involved in The dCenter’s Rieke Leadership Program.  In fact, Troy created the Rieke Leadership Award poster that hangs in the dCenter today (right next to the bookcase, check it out!)  Troy is originally from Manoa Hawaii and still remains close to many of his friends from PLU. Troy, Jackie (Sasaki) ('07), and Noah What type of work are you doing and why is it important to you? I am currently an attorney at McCorriston Miller Mukai MacKinnon, LLP, where I specialize in complex commercial litigation, administrative law, and appeals in both state and federal courts.  Working as one of two Native Hawaiian attorneys in a prestigious and large law firm provides me with a unique opportunity to educate my colleagues on the socio-historic and political struggles of the Native Hawaiian people when dealing with issues sensitive to our people, suc

Welcome!

The Diversity Center has been dubbed the space with “the comfiest couches and best conversations on the PLU campus.” Most of us are familiar with the impact the physical space of The Diversity Center has had on ourselves and others. The Diversity Center has been a home away from home for many of us, providing sanctuary and family. It is a space that promotes self-exploration, conflict with civility, social action, advocacy, and community. The Diversity Center has used social media (sometimes well, other times not so much!) as an extension of our physical space. Our philosophy is that social media should be used to create a “Virtual dCenter” and offer opportunities for dialogue and sharing resources just like our physical location.We realize that not everyone can benefit from the physical space of The Diversity. Folks leave the university, move to other parts of the world, and have lives that make sitting on those couches impossible. This doesn't mean that those indivi