Skip to main content

Alumni Spotlight: Troy Andrade 2007

Troy J. H. Andrade is a 2007 graduate with a BA in Economics and Political Science, and a minor in Music.  As a student, Troy was heavily involved in The dCenter’s Rieke Leadership Program.  In fact, Troy created the Rieke Leadership Award poster that hangs in the dCenter today (right next to the bookcase, check it out!)  Troy is originally from Manoa Hawaii and still remains close to many of his friends from PLU.

Troy, Jackie (Sasaki) ('07), and Noah

What type of work are you doing and why is it important to you?

I am currently an attorney at McCorriston Miller Mukai MacKinnon, LLP, where I specialize in complex commercial litigation, administrative law, and appeals in both state and federal courts.  Working as one of two Native Hawaiian attorneys in a prestigious and large law firm provides me with a unique opportunity to educate my colleagues on the socio-historic and political struggles of the Native Hawaiian people when dealing with issues sensitive to our people, such as land use, water rights, and sovereignty.

In my spare time, I am a member of the Hawaii State Bar Association’s Civic Education Committee, where I help to coordinate programs to elevate civic education in public discourse. As a member of the Civic Education Committee, I have been successful at advocating for implementing diversity initiatives, including spearheading the effort to convince President Barack Obama to posthumously award Congresswoman Patsy Takemoto Mink (the first woman of color in Congress) the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation’s highest civilian honor.

I have also achieved “All But Dissertation” status in my PhD degree in American Studies.  My dissertation will focus on the Office of Hawaiian Affairs, a semi-autonomous state agency that advocates for the interests of Hawaii’s indigenous population.  My work at the dCenter as a Rieke Scholar set the foundation for my pursuit of a PhD and law degree so that I can best advocate for the Native Hawaiian community.

 So far, what are you most proud of?

 I am most proud of my family.  My wife, Jackie-Lynn (Sasaki) Andrade (‘07), and I are PLU sweethearts.  I am proud of her because she has somehow managed to hold her full time job, volunteer as a volleyball coach for local teens, start her own business, allow me to pursue my passions, and be a co-partner in raising our son, Noah.  Noah is two and amazes me every day with his acts of generosity and his bold acts of defiance.  I often joke that he is going to be our future protester, advocating for justice in our community (even if right now that only manifests itself as his refusal to put his toys away).  I am proud of the kind boy that he is growing up to be.

What’s your fondest memory of PLU?

My fondest memory of PLU was preparing for and participating in our annual Hawai‘i Club Lu‘au.  The dCenter provided some of the resources for us Hawai‘i kids to gather to teach our culture and traditions to our PLU ‘ohana and the Tacoma community.

Why is The dCenter still important to you?

The dCenter was my home away from home.  A lot of my time at PLU was spent in the dCenter, whether it was organizing programs, hanging out with other students from around the world, or learning about and debating hot topic issues.  Being an ocean away from home, the dCenter, under Angie’s leadership (and with the support of SIL and the PLU Administration), provided me a safe place to find myself and figure out my passion and my vocation.  It was from the dCenter that I was able to get to confidence to join other clubs and organizations and be where I am today.  I am forever indebted to the dCenter, and I know I am not alone.

Comments

  1. As one of Troy's law professors at the University of Hawai'i, where he studied law after graduating from PLU and where he is now working on his doctoral dissertation in American Studies, I want to join the PLU community in celebrating this magnificent human being. Troy is a fantastic lawyer, a tireless advocate for social justice, a wonderful friend, mentor, and role model to those coming behind him, and an all-around terrific person. Congratulations Troy for all you have accomplished, and thank you for everything you have done and are doing for your family, the Hawaiian community, the legal profession, and the state.
    Professor Linda Hamilton Krieger
    Director, Ulu Lehua Scholars Program
    William S. Richardson School of Law

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dia de los Muertos

      (Left)  Hi! My name is Lilly Bulski. Pronouns she/her/hers. I am from Tacoma, WA. I am a social work major. I see my future career in social work doing something that uplifts people that are mistreated and not supported by "the system. My family is from Jalisco, Mexico. (Right) Hi! My name is Stephanie Hernandez. Pronouns  she/her/hers. I am a third year nursing student. I  live in Auburn, WA. My family is from Chihuahua,  Mexico. Viva Chihuahua! I love my culture and am  more than happy to share it with you guys!          Dia De Los Muertos, translated in English as Day of the Dead, is a  three-day celebration that honors the passing and life of your loved  ones with many aspects of celebration including putting up an ofrenda,  meaning altar in English. This celebration is practiced every year,  starting on October 31st and ending on November 2nd. This event is  not meant to be a mourning occasion but instead a day to celebrate  along with your loved ones who have passed th

Thank You DJS Leaders

Rosario Jesús Treviño Yoson is a 2nd year majoring in Economics. They identify as a mixed queer transmasculine person using he/they pronouns. He plans to use their degree to address food insecurity. You can find him in the Diversity Center, the library, or the student radio station in the Neeb building. Dear DJS Student Leaders,      It has been an honor to organize your stories this year. When I started, I was a little lost. I hadn’t attempted something like this before. What I uncovered became larger than the website. In conversations I had with each of the writers, I sought to go deeper into their motivations, why they are committed to the work they do towards anti-racism; outside of school and sometimes unpaid. It is the right thing to do, but these students stepped farther, they took initiative and leadership in their own communities, rather than waiting for direction.       I was encouraged after hearing from a few writers “this conversation helped me examine some things” or “I h