Skip to main content

Thank You DJS Leaders

Rosario Jesús Treviño Yoson is a 2nd year majoring in Economics. They identify as a mixed queer transmasculine person using he/they pronouns. He plans to use their degree to address food insecurity. You can find him in the Diversity Center, the library, or the student radio station in the Neeb building.




Dear DJS Student Leaders,


    It has been an honor to organize your stories this year. When I started, I was a little lost. I hadn’t attempted something like this before. What I uncovered became larger than the website. In conversations I had with each of the writers, I sought to go deeper into their motivations, why they are committed to the work they do towards anti-racism; outside of school and sometimes unpaid. It is the right thing to do, but these students stepped farther, they took initiative and leadership in their own communities, rather than waiting for direction. 


    I was encouraged after hearing from a few writers “this conversation helped me examine some things” or “I had never thought about this topic from that angle before.” The prospect of revealing something new alongside them thrilled me. Nicole Juliano told me something I immediately connected with. “Sometimes the real impact happens in the discussion. The process may be more important than the piece itself.” I kept her advice in mind in conversations with writers after, and I found much richer discussions as a result. The same line of thinking can be applied to reflection. When we take some time to be vulnerable, to intentionally rest, to reevaluate our direction, where we arrive is more fulfilling.


    This is not an easy thing to do. As individuals, this is not taught to us, instead we must learn it from others and change our constant grinding mentality. Vulnerability will be tricky to grapple with as our community enters into a new phase of living. I asked Nicole why vulnerability is so difficult to navigate right now. She responded “in times of trauma, we are inclined to fiercely hold onto the familiar. White supremacist values do not prioritize vulnerability and reflection.” There is a chance for us to change at an individual level. As we enter more in-person life at PLU, we have the power to model this with each other. Trust and openness is radical. As our lives change, we are not required to stay the same. We can strive for something better, for ourselves and for others. Thank you for modeling this vulnerability for our community.


Much love,


Rosario


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dia de los Muertos

      (Left)  Hi! My name is Lilly Bulski. Pronouns she/her/hers. I am from Tacoma, WA. I am a social work major. I see my future career in social work doing something that uplifts people that are mistreated and not supported by "the system. My family is from Jalisco, Mexico. (Right) Hi! My name is Stephanie Hernandez. Pronouns  she/her/hers. I am a third year nursing student. I  live in Auburn, WA. My family is from Chihuahua,  Mexico. Viva Chihuahua! I love my culture and am  more than happy to share it with you guys!          Dia De Los Muertos, translated in English as Day of the Dead, is a  three-day celebration that honors the passing and life of your loved  ones with many aspects of celebration including putting up an ofrenda,  meaning altar in English. This celebration is practiced every year,  starting on October 31st and ending on November 2nd. This event is  not meant to be a mourning occasion but instead a day to celebrate  along with your loved ones who have passed th

Alumni Spotlight: Troy Andrade 2007

Troy J. H. Andrade is a 2007 graduate with a BA in Economics and Political Science, and a minor in Music.  As a student, Troy was heavily involved in The dCenter’s Rieke Leadership Program.  In fact, Troy created the Rieke Leadership Award poster that hangs in the dCenter today (right next to the bookcase, check it out!)  Troy is originally from Manoa Hawaii and still remains close to many of his friends from PLU. Troy, Jackie (Sasaki) ('07), and Noah What type of work are you doing and why is it important to you? I am currently an attorney at McCorriston Miller Mukai MacKinnon, LLP, where I specialize in complex commercial litigation, administrative law, and appeals in both state and federal courts.  Working as one of two Native Hawaiian attorneys in a prestigious and large law firm provides me with a unique opportunity to educate my colleagues on the socio-historic and political struggles of the Native Hawaiian people when dealing with issues sensitive to our people, suc