Skip to main content

Diversity... what does it mean?

What does diversity mean to you? For the past two weeks, a few of my peers and I have asked students who have passed by the dCenter to answer this question. This dCenter project was to figure out what the student population, outside of our dCenter folks, thought about (if they did) diversity. This interactive, write on a window project, has been an eye-opening experience.


As woman of color, I stood outside of the dCenter with markers and asked random individuals who walked by to answer this quick question. First of all, I felt a bit uncomfortable asking random students to do this quick task. Second, I was asking a crowd of white individuals what they thought diversity meant to them. Lastly, it never occurred to me how hard of a question I was asking until I watched students stand in front of the window, with marker in hand, for what seemed like a very long minute as they formulated their thoughts into a sentence or word... or realized that this question made some students uncomfortable.

noun: the state of being diverse
I saw an opportune moment to ask a group of students to answer this question, but was only able to convince once individual to actually write on the window. His friends stood a distance away from me; one even made the excuse that their hands were full because they were holding a bowl and water bottle... honestly, I could've held those items for them. Anyways, he wrote the dictionary definition of what diversity meant... even included that it was a noun. His other friend took a picture of him writing on the window, which gave me the impression that what I was doing was more of a spectacle than an actual, worthwhile question to ask. Not only that, but it took some convincing for the next students I asked to actually participate in answering this question of "What does diversity mean to you?" Most of the individuals were hesitant and had to think a little before writing on the window. Some mentioned that what they wanted to write was already on the window... for encouragement and participation; I said that there were no right or wrong answers and there could be repeats. At this point in time, I just wanted to know what these students thought.

What surprised me the most was how one student gave me the chance to ask if he'd be willing to answer a question, but upon hearing the question took off like I was the plague in human form. I was shocked and upset that he left without an explanation... yet; I understood that I might have caught him by surprise and what seemed easiest to him was to leave this awkward, potentially uncomfortable situation. I will never truly know how he felt, but I realized that this was an uncomfortable question. For me, I have been in multiple conversations about diversity that I never thought that this was a topic everybody discussed. Not only that, but some students gave me the impression that I was asking a silly question... with their giggly demeanor and squeamish body language.

So... what did I take away from this experience? Well, some individuals may see diversity as having one solid definition. Others may think that I should know what diversity means and that this project is irrelevant. Some may have been provoked to think about diversity... while others may add this interaction of ours as another passive thing they've done in their day. The overarching impression I was given, was that people don't talk about diversity. OK, so was this not a worthwhile question to ask? Is the purpose of life simply to avoid the uncomfortable? Am I supposed to sweep these thought provoking questions under the rug... so that you can live comfortably... in a bubble, away from reality? Well, let me tell you that I will continue to ask these questions, not for the sake of watching you squirm... but in the hope that you will learn something, about yourselves and others. I do this because I care.

For me, diversity means too many things. There is no wrong answer, but a crap ton of right answers... ranging from different perspectives to a melting pot of ideas to community. I like to think of diversity as an ever-changing, dynamic entity that has no bounds... multiplicitous in nature... something to be embraced! What I have noticed is that we, as human beings, dislike change... hence why we hang out with people like us, have friends that agree with us and do the same things we do, be around people that look like us, and retreat to the familiar. Familiar, as in what makes us comfortable, because no one likes to feel uncomfortable. I will admit that I don't like change... it causes me anxiety and all sorts of stress that I could live without. I have also realized that change is not necessarily a bad thing, it allows for growth and development. Diversity helps me think more critically about myself and society... it allows me to be active in my thoughts and actions, rather than passive. I embrace diversity... I love the things that make us all unique individuals and appreciate the many different conversations that have sprouted from my interactions with others.

What diversity can bring about are change, variety, relationships, community, communication, understanding, perspective-taking, and more. Rather than avoid the question of diversity or think of it as a silly question, I believe that all individuals should think about it critically. For starters, you can get rid of the idea that diversity is solely based on skin color or has one definitive definition... it has no bounds! You should also hang out with new people... people you don't normally talk to but would like to know. Part of learning about diversity is being immersed in a different setting with different people. Most importantly, you should engage in dialogue and practice active listening. If we can get rid of our own biases, learn to withhold judgment, engage in dialogue, and be willing to learn about the other... there exists enlightenment beyond the confines of our own mind. Let me repeat, enlightenment!

I challenge you to say hi to the next new face you see, with the intention of getting to know them as a person... an individual beyond the stereotypes you hear and the physical features you see. We are all diverse individuals and it is about damn time that we acknowledge and appreciate our differences in this one world that we share.

Now, if you are ready to learn a little, grow a little, maybe dance a little... I would like you to answer, "What does diversity mean to you?" If you are ready to take an extra step into how I think about diversity, look into liberation and feminist theology... read about Karl Marx and Marxism. And if you are ready to discuss your thoughts, I am ready to discuss them with you.

By Jazmyn Carroll '15

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alumni Spotlight: Troy Andrade 2007

Troy J. H. Andrade is a 2007 graduate with a BA in Economics and Political Science, and a minor in Music.  As a student, Troy was heavily involved in The dCenter’s Rieke Leadership Program.  In fact, Troy created the Rieke Leadership Award poster that hangs in the dCenter today (right next to the bookcase, check it out!)  Troy is originally from Manoa Hawaii and still remains close to many of his friends from PLU. Troy, Jackie (Sasaki) ('07), and Noah What type of work are you doing and why is it important to you? I am currently an attorney at McCorriston Miller Mukai MacKinnon, LLP, where I specialize in complex commercial litigation, administrative law, and appeals in both state and federal courts.  Working as one of two Native Hawaiian attorneys in a prestigious and large law firm provides me with a unique opportunity to educate my colleagues on the socio-historic and political struggles of the Native Hawaiian people when dealing with issues sensitive to our people, suc

A Reverse Mission Trip in El Paso, Texas

Mathew 5:13-16 13  “You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men. 14  “You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15  Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all   who are   in the house.   16  Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven. – NKJV We rested in the sanctuary of Iglesia Luterana Cresto Rey in El Paso Texas, for a small worship service beginning our last reflection of our Border Immersion experience. Pastora Rosa led us by asking two questions. Who has been a light for us in our journey? Who has made an impact on you this week? How could I possible summarize my experience engaging in a community when I had learned so much? It was only seven days earlier that I embarked on my journey, clum

Welcome!

The Diversity Center has been dubbed the space with “the comfiest couches and best conversations on the PLU campus.” Most of us are familiar with the impact the physical space of The Diversity Center has had on ourselves and others. The Diversity Center has been a home away from home for many of us, providing sanctuary and family. It is a space that promotes self-exploration, conflict with civility, social action, advocacy, and community. The Diversity Center has used social media (sometimes well, other times not so much!) as an extension of our physical space. Our philosophy is that social media should be used to create a “Virtual dCenter” and offer opportunities for dialogue and sharing resources just like our physical location.We realize that not everyone can benefit from the physical space of The Diversity. Folks leave the university, move to other parts of the world, and have lives that make sitting on those couches impossible. This doesn't mean that those indivi