Skip to main content

This illustration feels radical but probably not far off...

This illustration feels radical but probably not far off.



When on Friday [June 26] we celebrated ‪#‎MarriageEquality‬
SCOTUS ruling I Googled "pride", "pride celebration", "pride flag" hoping to find images of a rainbow of people celebrating love and all I could see was a cloud of white men, white women, white drag queens, white twinks, white bears, white leathermen, white trans people, white politicians, white old couples crying, white vets, white protesters, etc. I was looking at the world's most powerful search engine with access to millions of images of crowds and in the sea of rainbow flags I struggled to see color. This made me very sad as we built LGBT rights movement on the wave of Civil Rights Movement. We have a cultural preference for light skin, this is not a question. Whether it's racism and/or trend inspired is not worth arguing. Naming incidentally successful artist, politician, or musician of color does not support argument to the contrary. The question is what do we make our response to this reality?

My response is not to be color-blind, but to be color-conscious. Our eyes are tools that can only see part of a spectrum of radiation. Our ears are tools that only hear a part of the frequencies of soundwaves. Our brains are tools trained to use cultural guidance to narrow those spectrum and frequencies to build relationships and communities. But with open souls, we can use the tools our bodies have to transcend the narrow commonplace and recognize our oneness. And when we do so, we will feel who we are missing and my hope is that instead of turning a blind eye, we will unite.

Although I am deeply ingrained in the same cultural conventions, my goal is to expand my idea of love and unity every day. To achieve that I refrain from using statements like "I don't see color", "We're all the same", "I'm tired of everything being about racism", "you're thinking too much", and such, because they reveal the limits of our daily experience and reality. In fact they reveal and reinforce our privilege to have those experiences. When I was younger I wanted to change people, now, more experienced, I make decisions to change myself. I hope to use the privileges I have to earn my place in the community of the future. I don't judge people for having a different experience than I, and I work hard not to judge well-meaning people who deny the problems in our shared experiences. And our shared experience is living in a world of white and male privilege, on different sides of it, yes, but the same world no less. I want to be a part of a solution, and in good time I will be. Meanwhile, I will enrich the soil of my soul by practicing seeing the invisible, and hearing the quiet, and feeling the hurt to invite the tree of love and wisdom to flourish through me if it chooses.

Today I watered tomatoes that I have the privilege to grow in my back yard, that I will have the privilege to donate instead of feeding my family. I have the privilege to spend time writing and thinking. I have the privilege to be safe and welcome. I have the privilege to be heard and seen. I have the privilege to easily find positive, inspiring, and motivating representations of myself. I have the privilege to grow into an adorable old man. I have the privilege of people fighting for my privilege. I have the privilege for "I" statements. I now have the privilege to get married to the person I want. I have the privilege to be wrong but feel right. All of these should be as mundane as weeds, but we haven't grown that garden yet.

When I was a boy in Russia I planted some lilies on an unused patch of dirt outside my urban apartment complex. Neighborhood girls came over and stomped out the seedlings because they did not believe in my dreams (we had a complex relationship). I laid on the ground and cried until my embarrassed grandma came over and picked me up. These days I cry on the inside when somebody stomps on the ideas a person is growing, because I cannot change a made up mind. I don't think it is everyone's role to be a gardener, but you do not need to stomp out a patch of flowers, just enjoy the community becoming more colorful.

‪#‎BlackLivesMatter‬ ‪#‎MyLanguageMychoice‬ ‪#‎LiveDeeply‬ ‪#‎LoveDeeply‬ ‪#‎WeAreOne‬

~Dmitry Mikheyev, dCenter Alum

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alumni Spotlight: Troy Andrade 2007

Troy J. H. Andrade is a 2007 graduate with a BA in Economics and Political Science, and a minor in Music.  As a student, Troy was heavily involved in The dCenter’s Rieke Leadership Program.  In fact, Troy created the Rieke Leadership Award poster that hangs in the dCenter today (right next to the bookcase, check it out!)  Troy is originally from Manoa Hawaii and still remains close to many of his friends from PLU. Troy, Jackie (Sasaki) ('07), and Noah What type of work are you doing and why is it important to you? I am currently an attorney at McCorriston Miller Mukai MacKinnon, LLP, where I specialize in complex commercial litigation, administrative law, and appeals in both state and federal courts.  Working as one of two Native Hawaiian attorneys in a prestigious and large law firm provides me with a unique opportunity to educate my colleagues on the socio-historic and political struggles of the Native Hawaiian people when dealing with issues sensitive to our people, suc

A Reverse Mission Trip in El Paso, Texas

Mathew 5:13-16 13  “You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men. 14  “You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15  Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all   who are   in the house.   16  Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven. – NKJV We rested in the sanctuary of Iglesia Luterana Cresto Rey in El Paso Texas, for a small worship service beginning our last reflection of our Border Immersion experience. Pastora Rosa led us by asking two questions. Who has been a light for us in our journey? Who has made an impact on you this week? How could I possible summarize my experience engaging in a community when I had learned so much? It was only seven days earlier that I embarked on my journey, clum

Welcome!

The Diversity Center has been dubbed the space with “the comfiest couches and best conversations on the PLU campus.” Most of us are familiar with the impact the physical space of The Diversity Center has had on ourselves and others. The Diversity Center has been a home away from home for many of us, providing sanctuary and family. It is a space that promotes self-exploration, conflict with civility, social action, advocacy, and community. The Diversity Center has used social media (sometimes well, other times not so much!) as an extension of our physical space. Our philosophy is that social media should be used to create a “Virtual dCenter” and offer opportunities for dialogue and sharing resources just like our physical location.We realize that not everyone can benefit from the physical space of The Diversity. Folks leave the university, move to other parts of the world, and have lives that make sitting on those couches impossible. This doesn't mean that those indivi